Junior Python Developer - Adimian
Working at Adimian
We are a small consulting company operating from Brussels, Belgium, specialized in both Python and scientific computing. Our customers are mainly large companies looking for our expertise for building new projects or growing existing ones.
We maintain a healthy balance between on-site and remote work. Hours are very flexible, because we don't care how much you work, as long as the job is well done. Being a remote focused company means we often live in our chatroom-du-jour, being Slack. You log-in, salute your friendly co-workers, and then start working, either on internal projects, either for one of our customers.
As most of our customers are large corporations, they bring their unusual, are-you-serious-this-is-insane problems. That's where we all shine, by finding simple but unusual approaches to save the day. So far all our customers deeply love us.
We don't do hype-driven development, so you are free and even encouraged to experiment with new tools and technologies, but you'll have to convince your peers to use any "not-the-usual-stack" technology in production. This creates room for interesting, highly technical discussions once in a while.
We don't do meetings, and we keep phone or video chatting to a minimum, unless it's required by both parties. This means you can be asynchronous in your replies, and take your time to answer. But if you are stuck or worried about something, you can always call for help, we've all been there.
Sometimes you achieve greatness and you can brag about it in our #feelgood channel. Sometimes you fail miserably, and you can still get back to the #feelgood channel to remind you that you're not screwing up all the time. We're deeply human people, and acknowledge that everyone makes mistakes. We don't like pointing fingers. Instead, we stick with you, and cheer you up.
If, unfortunately, you or a loved one is unwell, it's perfectly ok to drop what you're doing to go fix the situation. We might respectfully bug you on rare occasions while you're away, but only if the situation requires it. We take this seriously. Same goes for when you're on holidays.
Being surrounded by curious and nice people, you'll want to get better at your daily job, engage into a virtuous circle of improving your craft, while being given the ability to do so. We don't care about your education. Or your age. Or your gender. What you look like is irrelevant. If you are really good at what you do, then you have our respect. On the other side, if you are all talk and think you can get away with it, you will be disappointed, as we have very little tolerance for bullshit.
As often as possible (so about twice a month), we like to meet up in person with the whole group, to eat unhealthy meals and have geeky discussions about video games, politics and dank memes. Sometimes all in the same sentence.
Working at Adimian, it's trying every day to push everyone up, and have a good laugh while doing it.
- You see yourself as a solution crafter. You like to bend your mind to not only find the answer to a riddle, but also the most elegant.
- You like to be under pressure from time to time, let’s say when the time is short and the stakes are high. But you also appreciate to be given time to think and perfect your skills when nothing is on fire.
- You don’t like to feel like a big fish in a small pond, and want to learn and grow your skills continuously.
- You wish there was a place that would respect who you are and support you and your quirks, rather than turn you into a “presentable” cog.
- You care about others, and want your work to profit not only you, but cascade back to the community.
- You sometimes go to bed with your brain firing on all cylinders on a problem to crack, only to wake up in the middle of the night screaming “eureka” (unless it’s under your shower the next day).
- You take pride in your skills, and enjoy sharing your experiences with others.
- You are accountable and dependable, and you never take things for granted.
Why we need you
Adimian is a major consultancy in scientific and engineering-related software development. We work for large corporations, banks, tech start-ups, European bodies, …
As part of our team, you will be working on projects requiring focus and attention to detail, directly making a difference for thousands of people. No two projects are the same or require the same skillset, so be prepared to be learning all the time: large-scale ETL, distributed systems, buildling application frameworks, …
We will guide you through industry best practices, how to build resilient software, and how to be a good team player. You will be exposed to many different aspects of engineering, security, networking, architecture, … and we hope you will enjoy it as much as we do!
You will be paired with a more experienced team member who will always be there for you in case of doubt, but the rest is up to you.
Will you take on the challenge and turn your next project into a success?
Thanks to our strong engineering culture, working at Adimian is a fast-track for your career, you will be improving your craft in no time!
Your work conditions
We encourage our people to work from home, so you must be comfortable with this idea: you will usually work 2-3 days on site at customers, and 2-3 days from home, depending on the project needs.
You will be provided with everything you need for your job
- laptop of your choice (though we prefer Mac)
- cell phone with data plan
- paid transportation and hotel in case of travel abroad (however unusual)
- you-name-it tech gadgets
- 13th and 14th month
- paid public transportation
- eco cheques
Extra-legal perks include
- 10 days of extra-legal paid leave
- (very) flexible working hours
- paid professional training (technology, security, French/English/Dutch)
- paid trips to tech conferences
- flat company structure, no managers, everyone can have their say
- healthcare insurance
- meal vouchers
What we are looking for
Minimum Technical Skills
- you are fluent in English
- good knowledge of algorithms and data structures (an Computer Science degree is not absolutely required, but recommended)
- you have actual experience with writing software applications using Python, C, JavScript or Java (more is better), bonus points if it’s open-source
- you know the theory and how to use a relational database
- you are a unix/linux power user
- you have experience with git
Icing on the cake
- you know about networking, embedded systems, security, containers
- you enjoy doing front-end work from time to time
- you build your own side-projects or you contribute to open-source projects
- you have good writing skills
- you are curious and like to share your findings
- you are ambitious, want to learn and grow fast
- you are friendly and have a good sense of humor
How to apply
Adimian is an equal opportunity employer, and applications from less-represented groups will be reviewed with utmost attention.
Applications are limited to EU citizens. Applicants should be legally residing in Belgium, or willing to immediately relocate to Belgium.
Send your CV in PDF format, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
No need to send a separate cover letter as attachment, you can put it in your email body.
Recruiters / agencies / freelancers: we appreciate your interest, but we are not interested in your services.